Friday, May 21, 2010

Los Angeles Born Poet Reads at Beyond Baroque

Los Angeles has great readings going on all the time but LAwritersgroup.com is really excited about Diane Wakoski's appearance at Beyond Baroque this weekend because although she was born and raised in Whittier, CA, she is now based in Michigan and her reading appearances in Los Angeles are few and far between. 

Her latest book of poetry Diamond Dog, Anhinga Press 2010 is the first entirely new collection of her poems to come out since Argonaut Rose in 1998.

When I was getting my Masters at USC, I read Diane's Emerald Ice and it inspired me to track her down (something I had never done before) to speak with her about poetic sensibility and the use of a specific image I had noticed in her poetry.  It turned into a wonderful correspondence and I took from it a deeper understanding of personal poetic mythos.  You can read my article about our correspondence here.

Diane continues exploring and in her latest book combines poetic-mythos with science.  She will be reading at Beyond Baroque (map here) on Sunday, May 23 at 7:30 p.m.

No comments: