Call for Chapbook Manuscripts (Poetry and Mixed-Genre): Postmark May 1, 2011
Housed in the Department of English at The University of Alabama, SLASH PINE PRESS locates itself in an intellectual space where forms and intuitions make writing a process of risk and otherness—a space where the high stakes of creative inquiry make self-effacement impossible.
Slash Pine fosters work that investigates the dimensions of place, whether construed as location or situation. Such work is, like the slash pine itself, able to survive in swamps and sandhills, to thrive in salt and heat, to occupy an imaginative landscape that is raw and abrasive, and to expand its territory toward the interior. Neither cynical nor rhetorically meek, the work is concerned with but not limited by the map; its logic is global, written against the grain of history and biography. And where there is a cut, a thick sap flows.
- Deadline: Postmark by May 1, 2011.
- Multiple submissions are acceptable; so are simultaneous submissions, but please notify us if manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- Include two copies of manuscript with two title pages; one with title only; one with title, author's name, and full contact information.
- Manuscripts should be no longer than 24 pages and be either poetry or mixed-genre.
- No more than one poem or mixed-genre piece per page, please. No electronic submissions.
- Do not send SASE. Manuscripts will be recycled.
- All manuscripts receive a blind reading.
- Faculty, students, and graduates of The University of Alabama are not eligible for publication.
- Reviewers: Francine J. Harris, Nathan Hauke, Abraham Smith, Patti White, Joseph P. Wood
- Manuscript selections will be announced on our web site and Facebook page in late August.